How to Improve Your LinkedIn Profile
Your LinkedIn profile is a digital representation of your personal brand and professional image. It is essential to maintain ethical standards and follow a consistent brand identity to build public trust and attract potential clients or employers.
In this blog, we will share tips and best practices for improving your LinkedIn profile and making a positive impact on your professional network.
It is critical to maintain consistency in your personal brand across all platforms, including LinkedIn.
Aligning yourself with a corporate identity:
If you are in a client-facing role, applying your company’s corporate identity (CI) to your LinkedIn profile will help build trust with your customers.
To apply your company’s branding on your LinkedIn profile, follow these steps:
- Have the same background photo as your company's LinkedIn page
- Wear clothing with your company's branding visible in your profile picture
- Share media and marketing collateral from your company, adding comments and insights to show your engagement.
Building your own brand:
If you choose not to use your company’s branding, you should focus on building your own brand, by highlighting your expertise and any qualifications related to your expertise.
Remember that LinkedIn is a professional networking tool, so steer clear of irrelevant memes and jokes, focusing on informative posts that showcase your understanding of your industry and job.
Here are some profile features you can update quickly to improve your LinkedIn presence:
- Choose an appropriate profile picture that represents you professionally
- Smile in your profile picture - studies show that people perceive smiling individuals as more likable and competent
- Wear professional attire, preferably with your company’s branding visible
- Use filters wisely to enhance your profile picture's quality
- Add a background photo that matches your company's LinkedIn page
- Use the headline field to provide more information about your role, goals, and passions.
Beyond The Basics
To take your LinkedIn profile to the next level, consider the following:
- Write a compelling story in the About section, highlighting your skills and passions
- Endorse and receive endorsements from your colleagues and clients to increase your credibility
- Share media and marketing collateral from your company, and engage with relevant content from your LinkedIn feed
- Follow relevant influencers in your industry, and write insightful summaries of any posts you share
- Become an employee advocate for your company
- Publish long-form content and engage with your professional network
The more active you are on LinkedIn, the more you'll get your name out there and get noticed by potential employers and clients. Being more active allows you to establish meaningful connections and expand your network with other professionals in your field.
To maintain an active and engaging LinkedIn profile, consider the following daily checklists:
- Log in to your LinkedIn profile every working day
- Check your notifications for any mentions and respond with a relevant message
- Engage with valuable insights on your feed
- Follow your company’s LinkedIn page, and share the most informative content.
- Manage your inbox for messages and respond promptly
By following these tips, you can create a professional and engaging LinkedIn profile that helps you connect with others and advance your career.
And for that extra edge in an interview, schedule a coaching session with Wizco.